Home Sports Men’s side end losing skid

Men’s side end losing skid

by Archives January 24, 2001 0 comment
Opportunistic baskets late in the second half allowed Concordia to pull off a much needed win defeating the Laurentian Voyageurs 71-68 last Saturday afternoon, snapping the Stingers’ three game losing streak.
“Our guards played tremendously,” said Stingers head coach John Dore. “They played good defense, they rebounded and ran well.”
The story of the game was in the second half where Concordia came out of the gate slow once again. However this time the Stingers were able to knock down baskets at the right place and at the right time.
Stingers centre Real Kitieu started the game having trouble gaining inside position on Laurentian. But he proved to be the go-to man, making the winning jump shot just shy of the paint with less than 30 seconds remaining to put Concordia in the lead for good.
“Today we played against a small team and we should have killed them,” said Kitieu. “But personally, I’m not comfortable playing with small guys like that so I was kind of out of the game. But at the end, I knew I had to step it up.”
Laurentian mounted a 52-42 lead midway into the second half but a clutch shot made by Stingers guard Jonathan Dresner seemed to rally the troops giving Concordia new life.
“Dresner is getting better and better and learning to play defense at this level,” said Coach Dore. “He has to learn what’s a good shot and a bad one but he’s going to score a lot of points before he’s finished here.”
Another solid contributor was Concordia guard Gavin Musgrave who silently went eight for 13 from the field scoring a game high 20 points.
The Concordia men’s basketball team now heads for an extended four game road trip starting with a game against Laval next Friday. The team will be back on February 9th to face off against the Ottawa Gee Gees.