Second place falls to the wayside

Bad breaks, bad calls and a lot of frustration resulted in a 7-4 defeat for the Stingers by the McGill Redmen at McConnell Arena on Sunday with second place up for grabs.

After a fantastic first period, the Stingers simply fell apart early in the second due to some weak penalties called by a referee whose head was clearly in another rink, and a lack of discipline by the visiting team due to frustration arising from those calls.

As Concordia began the second with centre David Comeau already in the box, the ref decided to send teammate Mathieu Fleury to keep him company with an absurd high-sticking call right off the first face-off.

With a two man advantage, the Redmen jumped on the puck, when winger Greg Davis slipped it past Stinger goalie Francis Gourdeau just 48 seconds into the frame. Only 17 seconds later, with yet another Stinger in the box, this time Patrick Pelchat for cross checking, McGill’s David Burgess deflected the puck by Gourdeau to put the home team up 2-0.

Next up on the menu for McGill on a five-on-four advantage, was a tasty rebound for Davis, which he fed into the mesh, giving his team three goals in a span of only 38 seconds.

Shocked, Concordia proceeded to run around the ice for a few minutes trying in vain to get something going, when a few minutes later, defenceman Vince Labossi