Home Sports Yeomen drop ConU b-ball

Yeomen drop ConU b-ball

by Archives January 24, 2001 0 comment
The Stingers can’t buy a win as the men’s basketball team lost their third straight against a strong York team by a score of 72-64 last Friday night.
“We played with a lot of intensity and enthusiasm, something that has been lacking,” said Stingers head coach John Dore. “However, we lost to a very experienced and big team.”
Atrocious turnovers in the second half were one of the main turning points in the game. Concordia committed 15 in the half compared to only five by York.
“We made too many mistakes and turnovers cost us,” said Stingers forward James Aubourg. “Our problem is execution and it’s all about doing the little things such as screens and good passes that helps us win games.”
Another deciding factor in the game was Concordia’s inability to adjust to a zone defense implemented by York in the second half to slow down the Stingers’ athleticism and post play.
The game started out fairly evenly, with both teams shooting the ball well, good transition passing and strong defensive play. The first half ended when Stingers forward Aubourg nailed a three-pointer in the final seconds to give Concordia a 35-30 lead.
Concordia and York began the second half where they left off, with both teams exchanging baskets back and forth.
It wasn’t until the late stages of the game when York started to pull away, sinking the ball with immense accuracy handing Concordia their fourth loss of the season.