Chloe Lum of the Bloody Gashes explains the importance of image

Candy hearts and chocolate it was not, but for Chloe Lum, Concordia Fine Arts student and lead singer of the notorious Bloody Gashes, a balaclava (burglar ski mask) was the best Valentine’s Day gift a girl could ask for.
“Sometimes I wear it around on the streets. People look at me funny. I don’t just wear it in winter,” she commented, a little indifferent to the season of love.
“I don’t know too many people who care about Valentine’s Day after grade six. I mean, once it’s not about ‘Who gets the most cards in their little box’, it doesn’t really matter at all,” she laughed.
With their debut album not so far in the distance and five upcoming shows in the next few months, one would expect Lum to have at least a few romantic notions about life, rock and roll and the success of her band. This, however, is not exactly the case.
The band’s drums are held together with duct tape. They don’t have a vehicle to transport their equipment to and from shows. And – not the least of their difficulties – they can’t perform a single show without audience members completely misconstruing the image they are trying to present.
“People don’t see where we’re coming from,” said Lum, in reference to the Gashes stage show, which involves much flailing, screaming and toplessness. They look at me performing, and are, like, ‘Ooooh! A band with titties!'”
The band feels that rock and roll music is now at a point where shock value is expected, and clich