Stingers lose in shootout for bronze medal to McGill

CALGARY- The Concordia Stingers lost to the Mcgill Martlets in a shootout 1-0 at the Canadian Interuniversity Athletics Union women’s hockey championships.
It was the first time that the Stingers lost to the Martlets in 15 years and gave McGill the bronze medal at the CIAU champiosnhips.
McGill goalie Kim St-Pierre lived up to her reputation, stopping all 38 shots Concordia fired her way. Not to be outdone, Concordia netminder Lisa Herritt stopped all 23 McGill shots.
The stellar performance by both goalies sent the game into overtime tied at 0-0.
After a 10-minute overtime period that changed nothing, the game went to a shootout.
McGill’s captain Dana Rittmaster, who was playing in her last game for the Martlets, scored the only goal in the shootout giving McGill the win.
“I wanted to go in with confidence, as fast as I could and hit the top shelf,” said Rittmaster. “I think it hit both posts. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”
The loss left Concordia on the outside looking in for the first time in the four year history of the CIAU champiosnhips. They had won the gold in 1998 and 1999. They won the bronze last year.
The bronze is the second for McGill, having won the silver in 2000.
Martlet goalie Kim St-Pierre was the player of the game for McGill and Marie-Claude Allard took the honor for the Stingers.