Everybody was kung fu fighting…part two

In part two of the Bruce Lee video review, we look at the two best Lee films, Enter the Dragon and Return of the Dragon.
Enter the Dragon (1973)
My personal favourite, and the Bruce Lee movie I’d take on a desert island with me, Enter the Dragon is just what the movie poster on my wall says it is: “Their deadly mission: to crack the forbidden island of Han!” A renegade monk, Mr. Han, holds a martial arts tournament on his secret island complex to recruit the top fighters in the world for his evil organizations. Lee travels to the island to do battle in the tournament, and after some investigation (you know, that ‘taking matters into his own hands’ thing again) he discovers that yes, you guessed it, the complex was really a cover for an elaborated drug trafficking operation.
This has to be the best kung fu movie of all time and was Lee’s final film. It has an amazing backdrop, awesome fight scenes, and some cool costars in John Saxon and Jim Kelly. The idea of an exotic island tournament with a secret society is also a nice touch. It was shot in English, too, without the corny voice-overs.
Return of the Dragon (1972)
This film was actually shot before Enter the Dragon but was released afterwards in the U.S., and was changed in title from the original name, The Way of the Dragon. Tong Loong (Lee) visits relatives who run a family business in Italy, but are being pressured by a gang of mobsters to relinquish their ownership. Lee teaches the restaurant employees his Chinese fighting style to help defend the restaurant from the thugs who terrorize them on every occasion. With Lee thwarting the mob’s plans, they decide to fight fire with fire and bring in American champion Colt (Chuck Norris) to fight Lee.
Nothing makes me happier than seeing Walker, Texas Ranger, getting his behind kicked. It was an impressive battle, and one of the longest on-screen fights Lee ever shot. Too bad Norris looked like he was hit by a freight train when it was all said and done. Lee also wields various weapons in the film, as well, including a staff. If the video store didn’t have Enter the Dragon before I got stranded on a desert island, I’d rent this one instead.