Breton and Garston take top honours at awards banquet

As the school year came to a close early last month, it was time for everyone to hand out their evaluations of the Concordia sports teams. Many, like the men’s and women’s hockey teams were applauded for their hard work and success, while others –- see men’s football, for one — were given less than gracious reviews.
While the emphasis is almost always place on the teams rather than the individuals that make up said teams, those players that were seen as leaders both on and off the fields of play were awarded in early April for their efforts.
The major winners were Lisa-Marie Breton, who captained the women’s hockey team to a fourth place finish nationally, and Mathieu Garston, who led the men’s rugby squad to their second QSSF championship in as many years.
Breton was instrumental in the Stingers’ success on the ice this year, leading the QSSF in scoring, and was honoured as a Quebec division all-star, as well as earning All-Canadian status.
Garston was a QSSF Athlete of the Week twice last season, and led all Stingers in scoring with 37 points in just six regular season games. He also grabbed Quebec All-Star honours for the third straight year.
Ricky Martin of the much beleaguered football squad picked up Fittest Male Athlete of the Year, and Breton won the equivalent award for women. Also in football, Anthony Brown received the Ron Lapointe Award for leadership, dedication and commitment to excellence.
Candace Patterson of women’s rugby won the Denise Beaudet Award for leadership, unselfishness and commitment to excellence, while Christian Giguere of football and Kathleen Grzybowski of soccer were named as male and female rookies of the year.
Finally, the male and female Academic Athlete of the Year awards were handed out to soccer playing PhD student, Frank Pons and wrestling MBA student Tamara Medwidsky.
Each team handed out their own Most Valuable Player awards. The recipients were: Nick Cirino, baseball; Real Kitieu, men’s basketball;
Paul Braganza, cross-country; Loan Duong, football; Karl Castonguay, men’s hockey; Mathieu Garston, men’s rugby; Xavier Renard, men’s soccer; Marc Nisbet, men’s track; Jason Chen, men’s wrestling; Marie-Pier Veilleux, women’s basketball; Lisa-Marie Breton, women’s hockey; Lauren Arner, women’s rugby; Jo-Anne Belair, women’s soccer; Crissy McPhee, swimming; Lucie Pierre-Louis, track & field, and Tamara Medwidsky, women’s wrestling.