Expos slowly fading away

It’s not just the stadium. It’s not just the fans’ lack of dedication. It’s not even just the horrible mismanagement of the Montreal Expos over the past decade that has put them on the verge of non-existence.
It’s all of these factors working together to destroy the ball club, and it’s because of all of these things that Montrealers must accept the fact that baseball in this city is dead.
If the triumphant return of Tim Raines couldn’t bring ‘em to the Stadium, if the youth and energy of all-stars Vladimir Guerrero and Jose Vidro can’t, if the brilliance of the best manager in baseball, Felipe Alou, won’t work… well, as they say Tokyo (which is probably a better candidate for a pro club than
Montreal), sayonara.
For over 30 years, the ‘Spos, once upon a time known as “Nos Amours” have graced our city with the prestige and honour of having a Major League Baseball team, and for most of those 30-plus years, Montrealers have failed to realize
just how great baseball is, and just how important the team is to the city.
Montreal sports fans have always been known as some of the most fickle in sports. We only support a winner, outsiders say. Just look at the situation with the Alouettes… They’re one of the best teams in the CFL, so every game at Molson Stadium is sold out.
But what these people don’t understand is that it’s not just about winning and losing. Yes, Montrealers want a winner, and they’re perfectly justified in that respect… who doesn’t?
But if you take a look just a stone’s throw down the hill from the Als’ home to the barn known as the Molson Centre where the pathetic Canadiens skate throughout the winter, the stands are still pretty full. Certainly fuller than almost any other NHL rink.
Sure the Habs’ may have drawn a few less fans than last year than they would have if they weren’t so terrible, but Montreal still came out en masse because the Habs’ have something the ‘Spos can only dream of: The ability to capture the minds and hearts of Montrealers.
The Canadiens are seen as a part of the city’s and the province’s heritage.
Watching the Bleu-Blanc-Rouge on a Saturday night is just as important as Sunday
church and voting to many. But picking up an Expos game on a lazy Sunday afternoon at the Big O seems to be the last thing on anyone’s mind.
Still, a few thousand turn out each game to cheer for ‘Spos, while the club quickly becomes more and more of a joke both on and off the field.
The end is not near, the end is here.
Regardless of any new, old, or imaginary stadium plans, regardless of any large
cash injection from majority owner Jeffrey Loria, even if the team sold out a game here or there, baseball cannot and will not survive in this city for long.
Maybe they will move, maybe they will be “contracted” or maybe they will simply
fold, but it is clear that soon the only summer sport in this city will be football.