CSU makes demands on university

At the last Council of Representatives meeting, council voted to use any means necessary to have certain demands met by the university. These demands will serve as a basis for an acceptable working relationship between the Concordia Student Union (CSU) and the university.
The motion was adopted at the July 4 meeting, after the Board of Governors (BOG) tabled student appointments to the BOG, the university’s highest decision-making body, and as a result of a series of e-mails and letters between the CSU and the Rector and Vice-Chancellor Frederick Lowy.
Unsatisfied with the Rector’s response, the student union issued the demands. In all, the CSU has made nine demands ranging to the acceptance of the CSU appointed BOG representatives to more support for student run services like Le Frigo Vert to having more access to H-110 for more general assemblies.
“I didn’t know as much on the question as I would have liked,” said Melanie Anestis, a councillor for Arts and Sciences, “Having done a little more research I came to one conclusion: the BOG must accept our nominations.”
“What they want is reasonable,” said Lowy. “All the Board did was suggest that the matter be discussed. I would support the students in their demands, but I can’t speak for the board.”
“They have to apologize,” said CSU President Sabrina Stea at the council meeting, about the board not respecting the student union’s nominations.
At council, Stea accused BOG of literally acting illegally, by not recognizing the accredited union, and questioning its decisions for appointed representatives. Under accreditation law, she said, the union has the right to handpick the representatives they want to sit at the board, the Senate and other student bodies.
Last October, the CSU became accredited and is protected under Quebec law. Moreover, accreditation made the CSU the only association representing all undergraduate and independent students for Concordia.
“We might have to take legal action against the BOG for the accreditation issue,” said vp of resources Marina Tarantini, “I don’t know what we’ll do about the rest of the demands yet.”