Concordia responds to American tragedy

Concordia University held a gathering Sept. 14 to respond and to reflect on thetragedy in the United States.
About 60 people attended the gathering, including different chaplains from different faiths, some university administrators, students and employees. The atmosphere was quiet and reflective. Eight people spoke at the gathering, including people in the audience who felt a need to express their thoughts.
“I was touched by the [gathering]… it helped us to reflect upon the
situation,” said Donald Boisvert, dean of students.
Imam Salam Elmenyawi told the gathering that the actions of the terrorists were appalling, horrifying and were the most evil and heinous crimes. He added after the gathering that it was a moving event.
“Muslims are being blamed and those that did it are those who have eroded values. Only a small number of people behave in this way. Many Muslims are victims of the terrorist attack. I am worried about about finger pointing and my worst fear has come true. I find that saddening. The bigotry and racism has caused me grief. But I have also received calls of support from other chaplains and Quebecers that support us,” said Elmenyawi, after the gathering.
Josh Margo of Hillel Concordia told the people at the gathering that we should strive for love and kindness and that we should pray to get a better world.
“This gathering touched me. It was an ongoing exchange of knowledge and gave off the essence of getting together and working together,” said Margo, after the gathering had ended.
American student Sarah Kelly, who attended the gathering, said that the event was a nice and touching. “The fact that the university did something on campus is touching. I really appreciated it.”
Manjit Singh, the Sikh associate chaplin, who spoke at the event, said that it was very appropriate and spoke from the heart. “It was reflective and I am happy that it was proposed and that we were able to get together. This gathering helped to rationalize the situation and come to terms with the with our emotions.”
Joseph Berger, a journalism student who attended the gathering, said that the event was very nice, sentimental and that he appreciates what what was said by the various speakers. “It was well intended, but I find there is very little that a small well-intentioned group can do.”