This round ain’t on the CSU no more

As of this year, clubs under the umbrella of the Concordia Student Union (CSU) will no longer be receiving funds for alcoholic beverages.
This summer, the council of representatives, a body that dictates what the CSU executive does, decided to stop funding alcohol for clubs during social events.
Many clubs and student associations rely on the CSU for most of their funding.
In the past, alcoholic drinks such as beer, spirits and wine were listed into their budget under food and beverages. Under the new regulation, these products will have to be specified as non-alcoholic.
Even the traditional wine and cheese nights that many clubs and associations held in order to get better acquainted with their fellow students and professors will be affected.
Sabine Friesinger, former vp internal and now a council representative for Arts and Science faculty, brought the motion to council. The motion received little opposition and was adopted on June 13. All but one of the council members present, voted in favour of instating the new regulation.
Friesinger said that the rationale behind the motion was to put a halt to the money that supported alcoholic consumption and use it in a fashion that was more beneficial to students.
“When I worked as vp internal for the CSU, I was astonished by the amount of CSU money that went towards alcohol consumption during student events. I just thought that this money could be spent in a more reasonable manner,” added Friesinger.
However, the new regulation will not attempt to regulate or control alcohol consumption during club or association get-togethers.
“This is not an issue about the evils of alcohol. We would be willing to give some money to clubs in order to help them fundraise for these kinds of activities,” said Friesinger.
The money saved by the new regulation will find itself going back to the general student population. “We want to enhance student life on campus in a more academic sense,” stated Friesinger.
Some clubs were disappointed with the decision but refused to comment on the record until they received club funding for the upcoming year.
“It will only become standing policy once we see some real good come out of it,” added Friesinger.