Kronemeyer leads Stingers to big win

Lennoxville – Fire trucks were waiting in the parking lot just outside Coulter field stadium in Lennoxville last Saturday while the Concordia Stingers football team and the Bishop’s Gaiters were playing with fire.
After a close and intense game, the Stingers came back home with a 34-26 win over the Gaiters.
The victory, combined with the 24-17 of the Laval Rouge et Or loss to the McGill Redmen, allows the Stingers to move into the number one spot of the Quebec Intercollegiate Football Conference with a 3-1 record.
A solid performance by senior quarterback Jon Kronemeyer; who went 19-for-30 for 251 yards passing, with three touchdown passes; gave Concordia a chance to come back in the game after a difficult first quarter.
“We don’t often go out there and score or make big plays right away,”
Kronemeyer said. The result was that the Stingers were trailing 10-0 after 15 minutes of play.
The second quarter turned out to be the exact opposite of the first one.
The Stingers were controlling the ball and rapidly took the lead with touchdown passes to Brad Remus and Ricky Martin. The visiting team went back to the locker room at halftime with a 18-11 lead.
Concordia came back on the field after the half and continued to control the ball with the offensive team spending most of the quarter on the field.
However, a few penalties at key moments forced them to settle for two
field-goals. Stingers kicker Rob McCallum had a perfect day converting all three attempts from 38, 32 and 12 yards.
With only 1:30 left to play in the 3rd quarter, the Gaiters regained life when running back Andre Byone scored the first of his two touchdowns on a 34 yard run.
By one kept the Stingers defence on its heels all day with gains of 224 yards.
The momentum seemed to shift back to the Gaiters side at that point.
They would tie the game after a spectacular 83 yard run by Byone that placed his team at the one yard line.
By one himself carried the ball into the end zone to make it a 25-25 game.
The Gaiters even took the lead with a missed field-goal, giving them one point.
Midway through the last quarter, Kronemeyer threw a spectacular 75 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Brad Remus to give his team a lead they would not lose.
The Stingers defence finished the game looking a lot stronger than what they had been during the rest of the game.
With a close score and similar statistics; 481 total yards gained by the
Gaiters, 431 for the Stingers; both teams felt they deserved the win.
The Gaiters’ Charles Cauchon was telling his team mates “If we could be a little more regular we would win these games.”
Both teams will meet again next Saturday at Concordia.
Despite defensive ups and downs and hardly disputed last minutes, the Stingers worked extremely hard during the game.
“We battle, we battled hard all day to win this one,” said Kronemeyer, and coming out of the battle victorious allows the Stingers to sit on top of the QIFC.