Stinger hockey women ready

A mix of seasoned veterans and fresh new faces have come together to form ths year’s edition of the Concordia Stingers’ women’s hockey team, which also looks to have a good chance at returning to the CIAU championships.
Last year the Stingers’ finished out of the CIAU medal standings for the first time in four years. They lost to McGill in the bronze medal game, a team that they had not lost to prior to that match.
This year they will look to reclaim their spot at the top.
Once again the team will be coached by Les Lawton, who is in his 20th season, along with assistant coaches Catherine Bertrand and Vince Labossiere.
Lawton has already coached the team to two CIAU championships, as well as a bronze. Although there is a lot of youth on the team, Lawton is confident about this year’s team.
“We’re still in the evaluation mode and getting used to playing together at a high level. But so far we look good,” Lawton said.
While nearly half the team will be made up of players new to the Stinger squadron, there are still several of their top scorers left over from last season.
One of these is 4th year forward Leanne Martell, who finished tied for second in goals and was third on team in points.
“We have a lot of depth this year,” Martell said. “We’ve been coming together well so far and it’s still early.”
Other returning offensive stars include last year’s point’s leader and 4th-year forward Marie-Claude Allard, as well as the team’s only 20-goal scorer Lisa-Marie Breton.
Both players have been given co-captain duties.
One of the new players on the team is forward Leanne McPhee, who spent last year with Saint Francis Xavier University.
She is excited to be part of a team which she feels has a much better work ethic and where she will also get to compete more.
“I feel as though I’m more challenged this year,” McPhee said. “Here we are on the ice every day and we have more games.”
A position to keep a close eye on will be goaltending, where last year’s #1 net minder, Lisa Herrit, who played in all but 7 games for Concordia, is no longer with the team.
Filling in will be 3rd-year netminder, Lori Posluns, who will take over the top spot and boasts impressive statistics despite seeing little action last year.
“I’m really excited to be in this position,” Posluns said. “I’ve been waiting for this for awhile.”
Backing her up will be 2nd-year Louise-Michelle Tansey and rookie Jessica Anderson.
One area in which the Stingers have reason to be confident is on the defensive end where they have lost little and have added three rookies to the roster.
Fourth-year defender and team co-captain, Suzanne Kaye, who led all defensive players with 14 points last year, will anchor the blue-line unit.
The Stingers opened their season last weekend with two wins. Their next game is Friday, Oct. 26 at McGill.