Stingers can’t shut down Acheson

The Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team were defeated by the McGill Marlets this Friday 4-2 in their first loss of the season, a hard-fought battle played out at McConnell Arena.
The Stingers, although outshooting the opposition 10-8, had only one eye-catching moment in the first period – a goal by first year centre Dominique Rancour. After McGill’s Sophie Acheson scored a weak goal two minutes into the game, Concordia struggled to bounce back. The team became frustrated, taking a roughing penalty soon after. That frustration was lifted when Rancour skated up the middle on a breakaway, decked Martlets goalie Amey Doyle and netted Concordia’s first goal of the game.
This goal put McGill’s defence back, who up until then had done an excellent job containing the Stingers’ offensive prowess, back on its heels.
“We had as many chances as we could get,” Rancour said. “Their goaltending was good from the start.”
Concordia’s game slowly began to flow in the second. They looked more cohesive on the ice and improved their power play immensely. When the Martlets took a two minute cross-checking penalty midway through the period, the Stingers played it well, keeping the puck in the McGill zone. They failed to put anything pas McGill’s netminder, who made a blocker save that brought the crowd to its feet.
The Concordia supporters in the crowd were sent to their feet too, when the linesmen, who were officiating this game with the absence of a referee, did not call a blatant tripping penalty against McGill, which led to their second goal of the game.
Battling back from a two-goal deficit was the game plan in the third, but as close as they came with a goal from right winger Kendra MacDonald, it just wasn’t enough.
“We had a lot of chances today but just couldn’t put the puck in the net,” said Stingers coach Les Lawton. “We definitely have to sharpen up offensively”
Goaltender Lori Posluns, although shaky at times, definitely helped the Stingers in key situations, but McGill’s Acheson proved two much, scoring a hat-trick against her.
“McGill’s a big strong team,” Lawton said. “They got a couple of good forwards that get to the net well, and that’s what they did tonight.”
The women’s hockey team plays their next home game against the Ottawa Gee-Gees this Friday.