Students help raise

Concordia students have been challenged by Centraide to participate in this year’s Looney Line campaign to be held Nov. 1 on the corner of McKay and de Maisonneuve.
“It will be hard, but not impossible,” said Engineering and Computer Science Association (ECA) President Michael Nimchuk of this year’s goal of raising $2,500 at the annual ECA sponsored event.
The Looney Line itself is a simple idea. Students are asked to place loonies on the ground, trying to make as long a line as possible. Last year, the event raised $1,800. While organizers were pleased with that amount, they feel Concordia students can do better.
What is much more complicated are the issues Centraide is trying to solve. Based in Montreal, it serves as a fund raising organization for 250 local community groups. They range from the Montreal Diet Dispensary, which provides food to underprivileged pregnant women, to Les enfants de l’espoir de Maisonneuve, which provides help for both children and parents in families afflicted by violence, drug abuse and sexual abuse.
Danielle Morin, co-chair of Centraide and a professor at the John Molson School of Business, said she knows how tight money is for students but hopes they realize that there are many others who are less well off than they are.
“I believe we’re all responsible for our community,” she said, adding that
donations amount to as little as the cost of a cup of coffee.
The benefit of donating to Centraide, stressed Morin, is that 88 cents of every dollar donated goes directly back to the community, with the other 12 cents going towards the cost of materials like posters.
Nov. 1 coincides with the end of this year’s joint Concordia-Centraide campaign.
$1,000 was raised earlier this year at a barbeque, and organizers are planning a slew of other activities. These include a bagel and coffee sale by the Master’s of Business Administration Society on Oct. 30 and 31 from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. as well as a tooney table from 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 1. Both are to be held in the lobby of the Guy Metro Building at 1550 de Maisonneuve West.