U2 rocks Molson Centre

There is something special about a U2 concert in Montreal. Whatever the reason, the Irish supergroup loves this city and this city loves them. Last Friday, 20,000 plus fans packed the Molson Centre as the group returned to Montreal for its third show this year.
The band’s love affair with Montreal was evident right from the first beat as Bono addressed the crowd in French. “Last time we were here, we were convinced that Montreal was the loudest voice in the world. You’ve convinced us of that again.”
The crowd cheered every song and everyone was dancing in their seats or on the floor. It seemed everyone in attendance knew all the words to their classic songs and at some points, the crowds voices totally washed out Bono’s.
Bono and the boys put on a tremendous show. The large heart shaped stage, which seems all the more relevant now then it did in May, allowed Bono to interact with the audience.
During one of the songs, a woman was brought on stage and hugged Bono throughout most of the song. Near the end, she broke the embrace and lifted her shirt to reveal her belly, showing everyone that she was pregnant. Without hesitation, Bono bent down and kissed her belly.
The concert was classic U2. They played all of their hits from “She Moves in Mysterious Ways” to “With or Without You.” They also played unreleased singles from their new album as well as the song New York, a song that has taken on much more meaning after recent events.
The band also played a very poignant cover of Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Goin On?”
One verse of the song, “War is not the answer…only love can conquer hate,” brought a tremendous roar from the audience.
A U2 concert is much more than just a concert, it is a social message. The band supports groups such as Amnesty International, Greenpeace and the Drop the Debt campaign.
Bono ended the concert with a message to everyone in the arena. “Since September 11, the work we were doing, and that you were doing, doesn’t feel so left off centre. Somehow it feels…[long pause] it just feels really right.”
“The crisis has its roots in poverty. We don’t want to let crazy fanatics live off the poverty of these people.”
After that message, the band played the ever poignant One, with a message to Jean Chr