Women’s hockey 2-1 on weekend

The Concordia women’s hockey team put on a showcase of unbelievable passing, superior play making and oh yeah, goal scoring, as they steamrolled over the Carleton Ravens by a score of 7-1 on Sunday.
Playing their third game in as many days, the Stingers humbled the Ravens by scoring early and maintaining a high-paced level of play throughout the match, something which has been a rarity for Concordia and obviously a factor the Ravens were not prepared for. “We started out slow but we’ve realized that we have to come out harder from the start,” said centre Dominique Rancour.
The biggest reason for the offensive dominance came from the top line of Rancour, Marie Claude Allard and Lisa-Marie Breton-Lebreux which combined for a stunning 11 points. While each player was important to the line’s success, Rancour was especially impressive scoring a hat trick and adding an assist. “We played together when we were younger,” said Allard, “that’s why we work so well.”
Although the first period of the game could best be described as lacklustre, Concordia still walked out of it with a 2-0 lead on a power-play goal by Kendra MacDonald four minutes into the game and another by Leanne Martell.
For the next two periods the Stingers were virtually flawless in every facet of the game.
Not only courtesy of their electrifying top-line but also a suffocating defence that limited an already dulled Carleton offence to less than a handful of scoring chances against Stinger goalie Jessica Anderson. The best evidence of this comes from the 47-16 shot differential in favour of Concordia.
While the final score might have been large enough to satisfy most, there was very little separating Concordia from cracking into the double digits for goals.
At one point in the second period, Allard, who finished with a goal and three assists, was turned away on three good scoring chances within 30 seconds.
Rancour could have easily notched a couple more goals to her total. Before netting her hat-trick goal in the third, she had several clear shots from in close. This included a partial breakaway where she showed off her speed by streaking past a pair of defencemen.
The one glitch on the radar for the Stingers came with 19 seconds remaining in the game.They failed to clear the puck from their zone and a Carleton forward blasted a heart-breaking goal to the top corner from just inside the blue-line to end Anderson’s shutout bid.
After the game, head coach Les Lawton was happy about the way his team rebounded from a 6-5 loss against Ottawa on Friday. “We used that as a springboard for the rest of the week-end,” said Lawton. “We’ve had a difficult start but now every game is getting better.”
The Stingers will be on the road for their next game on Sunday against UQTR.