Council appoints committee to improve reputation

With the lawsuit against B’nai Brith still in discussion, the Concordia Student Union council of representatives passed another motion that is designed to set Concordia’s reputation straight.
The motion, passed Dec. 12, involves the appointment of a committee with the task of “exposing the falsity of the parallel between the Concordia student’s decision [to boycott Israel] and anti-Semitism”.
While the motion’s preamble deals with the “CSU condemnation from various Zionist groups, such as B’nai Brith Canada,” there is no immediate connection to the lawsuit.
“It’s an entirely different thing,” councillor Samer Elatrash said. “This propaganda committee exists to counter false allegations from groups like B’nai Brith. They are misrepresenting Concordia students [and] we want to change that.”
The money needed for expected dissemination of printed material and lectures or workshops, will be drawn from the CSU Campaigns fund. However, the motion involves less money compared to the possible lawsuit against B’nai Brith, which would cost the union an estimated $25,000 to $30,000. The lawsuit was not discussed further at the council meeting and is currently under financial revision.
“We were [only] looking at the possibility of a lawsuit,” said CSU interim president Patrice Blais, “but it depends on whether or not we’ve got a good case.” He added that more information would be presented for the new year.
Money for peace conference
Council approved a motion for holding an anti-war conference in February. The motion’s introduction implies that this is a reaction to the referendum question in the November 2001 byelections. Sixty per cent of electors voted against the United States’ military operations in Afghanistan.
At the same time, the passed question mandated the CSU executives to “take the appropriate measures to organize for peace and justice and to oppose this new war”. Councillors agreed on setting up a committee of volunteers and hiring a co-ordinator. An estimated budget of $20,000 for the conference was approved.
When questions to the CSU’s financial situation emerged, VP Outreach Benoit Desgreniers said the union saved money from orientation. After Sept. 11, many speakers and events were cancelled and the money can still be spent, he added. But he expressed doubts of having enough time for preparation and organization.
Elatrash dismissed those fears. “We can definitely make it until February. I’ve got some speakers lined up right now that are thrilled to come here.”
No bonus for Blais
Towards the end of the meeting, emotions flared when the motion for a $2,000 bonus for Patrice Blais was discussed.
He would receive the money for his work in the student union. A closed session was rejected and the motion was tabled until the next meeting in January.