Time running out

The council of representatives has decided to allow CSU interim President Patrice Blais and his four new executives to run the CSU until the Judicial Board makes its decision regarding the contestations of the November byelection.
In a council meeting held Jan. 9, Blais formally tendered his resignation as well as that of his interim executive. Blais said that regardless of the outcome of the rulings to be made by the CSU Judicial Board, Jan. 23 would be the last day he and the executive will punch in at the office.
“I am happy that despite all that happened in the election, due process will be followed and the contestations will be handled by our Judicial Board,” Blais wrote in his letter of resignation.
As the interim CSU executive prepares to step down, it remains uncertain whether or not Chris Schulz and the Representative Union will constitute the next executive.
The Judicial Board is only now starting to scrutinize the two contestations that were referred to them by Chief Electoral Officer Jessica Lajambe.
“These contestations are not so serious as to permit the annulment of the election or our disqualification,” said Schulz. “Any decision to do so will be challenged through the proper processes and that’s what will occur.”
Ultimately, the rulings they make will determine the validity of the elections and consequently whether or not the RU will be able to take the helm of the union. A verdict is expected by Jan. 20.
Schulz said that if the Judicial Board ruling does not fall in favour of the RU, he will seek legal recourse.
The Judicial Board will rule on the legality of several irregularities that surfaced during the elections, from the CEO’s decision to disqualify and subsequently reinstate the RU, to whether or not the CEO even has the authority to refer contestations to the Judicial Board, said Judicial Board member Youri Cormier.
“We have to determine the legality of all these things. There are 10 to 15 different elements to be judged before we can make an overall decision,” added Cormier.
Although Blais’ appointment of an interim executive over the holidays fuelled talk of a power struggle within the CSU, it was made clear at the meeting that he and Schulz had joined forces to try to come up with a resolution.
“Patrice and I decided to co-operate because it won’t serve any good to go to court for two months to have all these charges thrown out the window and then take office for a month and a half,” said Schulz.
The RU will commence their duties if the Judicial Board finds the elections to be valid. Should they find otherwise, the CSU will be without an executive.
“It’s been such a long ride…and it’s just been one battle after another just to gain the office we already seem to have won,” said Schulz.