Home News Hasta la moratorium, baby?

Hasta la moratorium, baby?

by Archives October 16, 2002

Concordia’s Board of Governors (BoG) could be lifting the moratorium on Middle East activities on campus as early as today.

Concordia Rector Frederick Lowy has promised CSU President Sabine Friesinger he will take steps to have the moratorium on events related to the Middle East conflict lifted.

In a meeting held the morning of Oct. 9, Lowy said he would make recommendations to that effect to the university’s Board of Governors at today’s meeting.

BoG imposed the moratorium on Sept. 18 after demonstrators forced the cancellation of a scheduled speech by former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Friesinger said the administration is not the only one trying to resolve the situation: “There will be joint panels organized between the two groups [Hillel and SPHR], the details haven’t been worked out yet but there is definitely something in the works,” she said.

In her opinion, the moratorium was a futile exercise. “I considered the moratorium lifted the first day it was implemented; they could never enforce it and it was illegal in the first place.”

The rector also said he will ask the Board to allow student activities to resume on the Mezzanine of the Hall Building. Although this is a huge step towards resuming regular activities on campus, the administration is still not willing to allow tabling in the lobby of the Hall Building.

Even so, Friesinger said that student representatives on BoG will attempt to make it an issue. According to Friesinger, depending how the debate goes it may be possible to add on a vote about tabling in the lobby as an amendment to the Rector’s motion.

“[If] they don’t want to give back the lobby for the tables, that will be another fight for us,” Friesinger said.

The CSU is in the process of finding ways to fight for tabling and other activities to resume in the lobby of the Hall Building.

Also to be discussed will be the rectors new powers of expulsion.

Passed at the same time as the ban on tabling, the rector’s new powers allows BoG to forego placing students in front of a jury as outlined in the University Code of Rights and Responsibilities. Instead, those facing expulsions would be interviewed by the rector, who would then make a decision on the student’s future.

The motion could be appealed within 15 days.

The CSU wants these powers lifted, claiming it provides too much power into the hands of the rector. University officials have already said that it is simply a matter of being able to take care of the matter quickly and efficiently.

The debate comes none too soon, as also to be voted on tomorrow will be a list of students who will be considered for expulsion over involvement in the Sept. 9 protests.

University officials were unable to make comment on the matter, except to confirm that the rector would be proposing a motion of some sort to BoG.