Home Sports Stingers hockey boys ram into Ryerson

Stingers hockey boys ram into Ryerson

by Archives November 6, 2002

The Stingers had a lot going for them heading into their Saturday match against the Ryerson Rams at Ed Meagher Arena.

It was Alumni weekend at Concordia with plenty of former players in attendance. Back-up goaltender Chris Wilcox was getting his first start and forward Luc Messier was playing in his first regular season game of after being involved in a car accident last month.

They responded with a thrilling 2-1 overtime win.

The early minutes of the game gave the Stingers reason to be optimistic as Wilcox stopped several Ryerson chances from close range.

The offence also looked sharp by getting shots at the net and looking for second chance opportunities.

Concordia fell behind just over a minute into the second period when forward Marco Sestito stepped in from the left face-off circle and ripped a shot over Wilcox’s glove hand to make it 1-0.

Concordia had a good chance to get the equalizer when they found themselves on a 43-second two-man advantage. Despite good puck movement, the Stingers couldn’t capitalize when it came to making the big finishing play.

Even after the expiration of the power play, the Maroon and Gold continued to show good cycling but the Ryerson goaltender held his ground.

However, Stinger forward Chris Page had a golden opportunity at the side of the net when the netminder got caught out of position and a pass from behind left him with a wide-open net staring right at him. The crowd watched in disbelief as the shot passed through the crease and out the other side.

The Stingers caught a break at the beginning of the third period when the Rams were called for a delay of game penalty which left both teams with four players on the ice.

Concordia followed Ryerson’s example from the second period with a goal just over a minute in on a deflection goal by Edin Burazerovic to tie the game 1-1.

Things got scary when Page took a knee from defenceman Matt Robinson that caused a scuffle, as two more players were handed penalties to give Concordia a power play. Although he struggled to the bench, Page would be all right, as the Rams would find out later.

While both teams would get good chances to score before the end of regulation, the goaltenders held their ground.

It wouldn’t take long for the Stingers to earn their first win of their year in overtime and Page to show that his earlier miss was nothing more than a fluke.

Coming over the blue line, Page gloved down a pass from rookie Yannick Noiseux and went top-shelf with a splendid shot over a sprawled Ryerson goaltender 56 seconds into the extra frame.

“I said I got to get it back for the team and it’s good to win that game in overtime,” Page said with regards to his missed opportunity earlier in the game.

“I think tonight was a total team effort,” said Wilcox, who made 25 saves. “The defenceman did a really good job today, I saw most of the shots.”