Concordia Film Production Graduate Wins the National Film Board’s Reel Diversity Competition

Dear Concordian,

Please find attached a press release from the National Film Board announcing the winners of this year’s Reel Diversity Competition.

As a graduate of Concordia’s Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema, I thought you may be interested in covering the story.

Within the next couple of months I will begin shooting my documentary film which is to air on CBC Newsworld and VisionTV next year.

Should you require any further information, Please feel free to contact me at (514) 948-2220.

Many thanks,

Karen Cho
Filmmaker

June 09, 2003

NFB ANNOUNCES THE WINNERS OF ITS SECOND NATIONAL REEL DIVERSITY COMPETITION

Banff – Government Film Commissioner and NFB Chairperson Jacques Bensimon and English Program Director General Tom Perlmutter are pleased to announce the five winners of its second national Reel Diversity Competition today at the Banff Television Festival. This competition provides five emerging filmmakers of colour from across Canada with the opportunity to make a 40-minute English-language NFB documentary, to be televised on CBC/CBC Newsworld and VisionTV.

“Initiatives like the Reel Diversity competition allow us to more fully reflect Canada’s rich diversity. Let’s not let our typical Canadian modesty blind us to what a valuable asset this is. As a multicultural, community-oriented society, Canada can be a model for the world,” says Jacques Bensimon.

“The NFB is committed to opening its doors to new filmmakers,” adds Tom Perlmutter. “The Reel Diversity Competition helps nurture a new generation of filmmakers. It’s a two-way street – the filmmakers enrich and broaden the NFB.”

This year, the National Film Board of Canada’s Reel Diversity Competition has increased its commitment from $750,000 to $1 million. The NFB received over 100 applications. Representing Canada’s five regions, the winners are:

Atlantic region: Russell Wyse, Dartmouth – Brother to Brother
This film will portray the emotional journey of several young Black men before, during, and after their encounter with older mentors at an intense retreat in a secluded setting.

Quebec: Karen Cho, Montreal – Weight on Our Heads
An intimate look at Chinese Canadian history through the experiences and family stories of those directly affected by the Head Tax and the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Ontario: Elizabeth St. Philip, Toronto – Booty Call: Video Vixens & Hip Hop Honeys
This film will follow three young Black women from Toronto as they compete for roles in big budget American music videos.

Western region: Zarqa Nawaz, Regina- The Mosque and Me
Gender relations have always been a complicated issue in Muslim communities. The film takes a journey through Canadian mosques to hear the stories of men and women who are trying to find the middle ground.

Pacific region: Cal Garingan, Vancouver- I Thee Wed
The story follows the experiences of two same-sex couples who file for marriages in BC.

The Reel Diversity Competition is a NFB initiative in partnership with CBC and CBC Newsworld, the lead broadcaster, and VisionTV. For more information visit www.nfb.ca/reeldiversity.

– 30 –

Source:

Monika Ille
NFB Public Relations
Tel: (514) 283- 9607
Cell: (514) 239-2466
E-mail: [email protected]