Concordia wins home openers against McGill

The men’s basketball team suffered a 74-53 blowout loss in their first game of the season this past Friday when they visited the heavily touted Laval Rouge et Or. The next day they showed the ability that they’re going to be relying on for the entire season by beating the McGill Redmen 96-73 in their home-opener.

Jonathan Dresner was the leading scorer for the Stingers with 16 points but he was far from the only big contributor as four others finished in double digits.

Concordia kept a consistent rhythm throughout the game by shooting 64 per cent from the field and were an equally impressive 11 of 19 from the three-point arc.

Stinger captain Philippe Langlois had the best all-around effort with 11 points and six assists.

Daniel Martin from McGill led all scorers with 21 points but couldn’t compensate for his team’s miserable five for 22 effort on three-pointers.

The women’s team followed the same path as their male counterparts this weekend by rebounding from a narrow 57-51 loss to Laval to beat the Martlets 59-51. The Martlets shot an embarrassing 7 for 27 from the floor in the first half while the Stingers were a solid 45 per cent shooting.

After taking a convincing 28-17 lead at half time the Stingers were able to hold on through a high-scoring second half where the Martlets poured in 34 points.

Stinger third-year guard Pascale Morin played a crucial role as she torched the Martlets with a game-high 18 points. Graziella Charles also had a good performance by collecting ten points and five steals.