ConU tourney aids in tsunami relief

The 37th annual Theresa Humes Invitational Tournament was more than just a showcase of the best of great women’s university hockey; it was a fundraiser to help the Concordia Student Union raise money for Tsunami relief.

Over $4,000 was raised through ticket sales and donations during the well-renowned weekend tournament that was won by the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks over the hometown Stingers at the Ed Meagher arena on Sunday.

The money will go towards the CSU’s ongoing efforts to raise money during the month of January for Oxfam in hopes of sending relief to the people devastated by the tsunamis in Southeast Asia.

“We felt as a department that we wanted to do something and that this was the biggest and best event of the year,” said the head coach of Concordia’s women’s hockey team, Les Lawton. “We saw it as a way to do something to help the less fortunate.”

While the Theresa Humes Tournament was taking over the arena in N.D.G. Friday night, the Concordia men’s hockey game against the Royal Military College was moved to the Samuel Moskovitch Arena in Cote-St-Luc. Players and fans, including the mayor of the Cote-St-Luc/Hampstead/Montreal West borough Robert Libman, observed a moment of silence for the victims involved in the tsunamis.

Concordia Athletics is one of many sports departments of Canadian universities making contributions to tsunami relief.

Lakehead University in Thunder Bay gave all of their ticket sales to relief funds from a non-conference game against Universite de Quebec a Trois-Rivieres. The University of Manitoba held a weekend fundraiser where fans were encouraged to donate to any of the 10 games held there. Finally, The University of British Columbia will give all of their gate revenue from their games this weekend to relief in order to help meet the $2 million challenge issued by their school president.

The CSU used more than six locations on campus where students could donate money and help in the effort. Thus far, all the universities clubs and associations have combined to raise over $150, 000 and are still aiming to add to that total.