Stingers hockey coach invited to Austria

When the Ontario University Association (OUA) men’s hockey all-star team hits the ice in Innsbruck, Austria on Jan. 13, Concordia Stingers coach Kevin Figsby will be behind the bench. Figsby will be an assistant coach for the team, representing Canada at the 2005 Winter Universiade. The tournament will be held from Jan. 18 to 22.

“I’m ecstatic about the opportunity for the experience, when you’re involved with high-performance athletes, and when you have the opportunity to represent your country,” Figsby said.

Figsby has previous experience at the international level. He was the head coach of the bronze medal winning team from Quebec at the world under-17 championship in 1995. He has 20 years of coaching experience, and has been the coach of the Stingers men’s hockey team since 2000.

The Stingers were also hoping to be represented on the ice. The team’s leading scorer, Yannick Noiseux, was named to the training camp roster, but according to coach Kevin Figsby, Noiseux was forced to miss training camp because of an exam, and only players who participate in the camp can play on the team.

Noiseux was still hoping to be a reserve and potential callup to the team, but suffered a thumb injury during the Montreal University Cup in December. He had surgery on his injured tendon and the Stingers hope to see him back in the lineup in three to four weeks.

Noiseux, from Roxton Falls, Que., is currently the second leading scorer in the OUA with eight goals and 22 points in 13 games.

Team Canada plays their first game on Jan. 13 against China.