Home News “Ice Skate Shake” for charity

“Ice Skate Shake” for charity

by Archives March 2, 2005

Concordia students are strapping on their skates and hitting the ice to raise funds for a worthy cause.

On Saturday March 5, students in the Applied Human Sciences Department will be hosting the “Ice Skate Shake” to raise money for Head and Hands, a local charity in NDG. The project is part of the Program Planning and Recreation course offered by the department.

The event will take place at the rink of Lower Canada College, and also includes Villa Maria, Loyola and Centennial high schools. “We chose these particular schools because they are all close to the charity and a few of us are alumni of these high schools,” said Lee Lacinto, one of the main organizers. The day’s activities will consist of a free skate from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., followed by an outdoor barbecue. Many of the event’s supplies were donated by various organizations such as McDonalds and Loblaws. “They’ve been so generous and helpful,” said Lacinto. “We’ve been really lucky.”

Head and Hands is an organization which provides youth services ranging from medical and dental clinics to counselling and crisis intervention. Students involved in the project considered donating proceeds to the tsunami relief fund, but decided it was more important to donate to a local charity instead. “Head and Hands is a very important part of the NDG community and we hope that our event will help them continue to provide their services,” Lacinto said.

Any students interested in participating in the “Ice Skate Shake” can visit their website at www.iceskateshake.com.