Marghetis wrestles to gold at Nationals

In Brief

The Concordia men’s wrestling team finished third-overall at the CIS National Championships at Brock University last weekend, led by a repeat gold medal performance by Tyler Marghetis.

Marghetis retained his crown in the 76 kilo weight class, defeating Nathan Rolfe of Simon Fraser University 5-1 in the gold medal match. Marghetis was actually disappotined in his winning match, saying “I wanted to be more dominating, but I allowed (Rolfe) to have a chance to come back in the final.”

This is the third all-Canadian award for Marghetis in three years. In addition to the two golds, he won a silver medal in 2003.

The third place finish was also impressive for the Stingers, although Marghetis was not surprised by the team’s effort. “We’ve had a lot of great athletes developing the past few years under (head coach) Victor Zilberman,” he said.

The team finished with 38 points, behind only the host university Brock, who had 69 points, and Saskatchewan, who edged them with 39 points. Brock won the last seven championships.

The Stingers reached the podium twice more in Ste. Catherine’s, Onatario. Concordia rookie Tim Wadsworth was a silver medalist in the 65 kilo category. He lost in the final to Brock’s Ryan Weicker, who made history winning his fifth consecutive gold medal.

Last year’s rookie of the year, David Zilberman, took home the silver in the 130 kilo weight division, losing to Guelph University’s Jamie Cox 2-0 in the final.

Also contributing to the team’s third place standing was Tony Ronci in the 68 kilo weight class, who finished fourth. James Mancini finished fifth-place in the 61 kilo division, and Nick Russell ended up sixth in the 72 kilo weight class.

“It was a good team placing,” Marghetis said, “we usually have strong individual results.” Concordia has won the CIS championships six times, ranking second among universities.