time OUT

Sticks, helmets, gloves, and basketballs were among the items being heaved into the air Sunday at Loyola Campus as it was a very fortuitous day for Concordia varsity teams.

Prior to Sunday we had to deal with the elimination of our men’s hockey and women’s basketball teams. The women deserve some serious credit for getting past a favoured Bishop’s squad and making it to the Quebec Championship where they lost to Laval on Saturday. Sadly, it marked the final game in the Maroon and Gold for co-captains Pascale Morin and M.J. Raposo, as well as Graziella Charles.

Fortunately, there was plenty to cheer about the next day as the women’s hockey team captured their first QSSF Championship since 2002. They accomplished this by narrowly defeating the McGill Martlets in a nerve-wracking third and decisive game. While it may not have been as convincing a victory as some were expecting, hopefully it has placed the team in the right mindset as they head into the National Championships, which start Thursday at McGill. They will be facing-off against the likes of the three-time defending champion Alberta Pandas, who are unbeaten in their last 108 CIS contests. Needless to say, they have their work cut out for them.

This next matter is one I mention with great caution so as not to use any language that may jinx our men’s basketball team. They beat Bishop’s in the Quebec semis on Sunday. They will play Laval in the finals Friday at Loyola 7 p.m. That’s all I’m saying.

Finally, I can’t go without saying how nice it was to see not just one, but two, CFCF12 cameras at the basketball game Sunday. The one complaint I have concerns the poor post-game questions some of these guys came up with.