Your page

Dawson conscious about Concordia

Dear editor, (and all Concordia students)

For the last two years I have been involved in an ongoing campaign to accredit the Dawson Student Union.

Accreditation, which benefits over 80% of CEGEP’s and almost all universities (including Concordia) enjoy, provides legal recognition as well as political, operational and financial autonomy to the student union.

In short, accreditation provides the student union with the tools and resources to properly represent the students, while providing the students with direct democratic control over more of the money they pay in activity fees and a strong student voice capable of standing up for their interests. Accreditation is a

critical step in the evolution of any student union.

While our campaign at Dawson faced stiff resistance, primarily from administrators, we succeeded in getting 42.5% of the student body to the polls, of which 67% voted in favour of accreditation. The largest CEGEP in the known universe is now accredited.

I am writing to you today to inform you of the solidarity and assistance we received in achieving this feat from several members of the Conscious Concordia slate now running in CSU elections, most notably Wendy Krauss-Heitmann.

I have no intention of telling anyone how they should vote. I am sure that the members of the Evolution slate are competent and professional individuals who will represent you well if elected. Over the last year I have had the good fortune of working with the current Evolution team’s VP external, Arielle Reid, who is a hard-working and dedicated student representative. I bear no ill will towards Evolution.

However, I have been so impressed by the depth of character, commitment and dedication of the people running for Conscious Concordia that I feel obliged to state it for the record.

Conscious Concordia have outlined a strong platform but as we all know, the campaign promises of politicians are not worth the paper they’re written on unless made by candidates with the integrity to follow through on them. The members of Conscious Concordia I have had the good fortune to know have demonstrated just that integrity and commitment in helping out their little siblings down the road.

For what it’s worth, coming from a lowly Dawson student, I have been greatly impressed by the people of Conscious Concordia.

Whichever team you choose to support, next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday get out and vote. This is democracy baby, and it’s a beautiful sight.

Ethan Cox
Chair, Yes Committee on Accreditation

Loyola for Evolution

As a student who spends most of my time at the Loyola campus, I’m particularly interested in the upcoming Concordia Student Union (CSU) elections. I strongly believe that the CSU must do more for the Loyola campus and I’m happy to see that Evolution has promised to pay more attention to the nearly 8, 000 students that now study at Loyola. As an active student on the Loyola campus I’m happy that Evolution has taken the time to campaign on both of Concordia’s campuses and that they’ve committed to paying more attention to Loyola; expanding CSU services on campus and hosting more student life events.

As a Loyola student I believe that Evolution is most capable of representing me and actually working to serve Loyola students. I’ve seen firsthand Mo [Shuriye]’s dedication to Loyola through his work with Loyola’s residence and Concordia’s amazing athletics program. I was also very impressed with Evolution’s commitment to Loyola and am confident that Loyola will be best served with an Evolution mandate.

I hope all students take the time to go vote on March 29-30-31 and I encourage everyone to vote for Evolution as their next CSU executive.

Andres Ferrero
Psychology

Art Matters to Evolution

As a fine arts student I’d like to take the time to respond to Melissa Ledo’s letter to the editor in last week’s edition of the Link. Ledo mistakenly claims that the current CSU has cut funding to FASA and the VAV Gallery and that Evolution, a diverse and experienced team running in the current CSU elections, isn’t interested in fine art issues. As a fine arts student, I’m happy that Evolution has committed to promoting student initiatives on campus. The current CSU has actually increased (not decreased as Ledo claims) funding to Art Matters, FASA, and the VAV gallery. Evolution, meanwhile, has promised to help promote student art, music, theatre, and poetry all year long, and to find more space for student art around campus.

As a fine arts student, I think Evolution is best suited to represent my interests. Evolution is the most experienced and diverse team and the only team that actually has a real platform. I’ve already had the chance to work very closely with some of Evolution’s members and I’m confident that they’ll do an amazing job as CSU executive next year. All fine arts students should take the time to vote in the upcoming CSU elections and ensure their voice is heard. I encourage all fine arts students to vote for Evolution and to ensure they continue to be properly represented.

Adiella Jones
Fine Arts

Science students vote for Evolution

This past academic year has been an extremely significant one for the science community at Concordia. At Loyola, the Biology Student Association (BSA) is once again active and has contributed in an extremely positive way towards reviving student life on the Loyola campus. There’s been a tremendous interest in the BSA’s activities this year and all of our events have been well attended. Biology students are once again being represented and offered important services and social events.

This year, the Concordia Student Union (CSU) and Arts and Science Federation of Association (ASFA) provided the BSA with the support and encouragement we needed for our events and activities to get off the ground and be successful.

On March 29th, 30th, and 31st students will have the opportunity to select their next CSU. I strongly encourage all students to vote and help ensure that our student union continues to represent our interests and support student initiatives such as the BSA at Loyola. I’ve had the privilege of working with a number of Evolution’s members throughout the year (I’ve worked closely with Steven and Mo) and I strongly believe that Evolution is the team most able to represent Concordia students and most deserving of being given the opportunity to work for Concordia students. I’ve seen firsthand how dedicated Evolution is to the Loyola and Science communities.

On March 29-30-31, I plan to vote for Evolution and I highly encourage all BSA members and all students to join me and vote Evolution.

Dan McSharry
Biology