Final Destination 3

Grade: D

In 2000, Final Destination was fun, inventive, and somewhat original. Three years later, the originality was wearing off in Final Destination 2. Now, another three years later, Final Destination 3 is trying to squeeze water out of a rock by using a concept that has already been exploited to its full potential.

We all know the story: A bunch of kids escape death thanks to a premonition from one of them. Once they realize that Death doesn’t “do” unfinished business, they must remain on guard to cheat Death once again when it comes back to take them for good.

This new plot follows exactly the same pattern the first two instalments have laid down. The plot runs around in circles slowly enough for everyone to foresee its every turn. Adding to that a bunch of painstakingly pathetic characters, you will be praying for them to meet a slow and painful death.the sooner the better.

This might have worked in the first instalment. Now, it provides all the adrenaline rush of a mint gum; it starts off as exciting, but the flavour doesn’t last long enough to fully satisfy the craving.

In addition to its death sequences as elaborate as they are absurdly unrealistic, Final Destination 3 is no more than slightly entertaining. They might see death coming, but if you had seen this movie coming, you would not be weeping for the bucks you just wasted.

Final Destination 3 differentiates itself from its predecessors by adding more blood and guts to the formula. The death sequences are indeed more gruesome, but once the blood dries out, there’s not much left.

Led by Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ryan Merriman, the cast of unknown actors do not help the movie either. As the two proved when they both starred in last year’s The Ring Two, they lack the screen presence to carry a leading role. All the other actors, without exception, are trying hard to make their mark and build a name for themselves, but none of them succeeds in creating some sort of impression, let alone a lasting one.

What was originally supposed to scare you out of your wits will leave you laughing until your guts hurt. The scariest thing in the entire movie is the thought that there might be another sequel that will add on to the declining legacy of what was once a clever idea.