Home Sports Gee-Gees have Stingers number in playoffs

Gee-Gees have Stingers number in playoffs

by Archives March 1, 2006

Wednesday night, the Stingers hit the road for their first playoff game of the year to face the University of Ottawa Gee-Gee’s that they had just beat 5-4 in the final match of the season the previous Sunday.

For the first time in a while, the Stingers showed signs of life early, with a big goal at 10:14 of the first from veteran left-winger Yannick Noiseux. Sohpohmore right-wing Bruno Champagne set up the play with a cross-crease pass after receiving a feed from Phil Seguin. At 10:45, Ottawa’s Adam Vaughan was given two for hooking, and assistant captain Fred Faucher found a hole through traffic to beat Ottawa’s goalie, Mathieu Blanchard at 11:55.

It wasn’t until midway through the second when Noiseux was called for highsticking at 13:02 that Ottawa was able to get on the board. Ben McLeod from Jonathan Robert and Jerome Briere beat Pat Lepage with an ugly goal at 13.31.

After a lengthy penalty parade in the first two periods, it quieted down in the third. With the Stingers still up by one, they played hard and notched their third goal at 1:35 of the third, and added another at 10:31 from Phil Lacasse to close out the night, with the final score at 4-1 for the Stingers.

Pat Lepage played outstanding that night, saying he “did what I had to do. I feel good, but I know there are more games, and I don’t want to over-react and say ‘that was great.'” Lepage, who was being heckled the whole game by the Gee-Gees football team said “heckling is part of the game,” and that it didn’t distract him.

Friday night the highflying Gee-Gees came into Loyola with a vengeance. They got on the board early with a power play marker at 6:45 as a low, heavy slapshot beat Lepage from the point from Ottawa defenseman Mike Barrett.

It was during a 5-on-3 that the Stingers tied the game up at one. Rookie S