10th annual Book fair attracts everyone from students to the Director of Security

There was a buzz of excitement in the air as students, faculty and staff lined up to browse for literature at Concordia’s 10th annual Used Book Fair on Monday and Tuesday Sept. 25 and 26. Many local book dealers arrived early as they waited their turn to find treasures among the stacks.

The annual book fair raises money for The Concordia Used Book Fair entrance scholarship, worth $1,000.The rest of the proceeds were donated to the Multi-faith Chaplaincy Student Emergency Food Fund.

Barbara Barklay, one of the founding members of the Used Book Fair, said the event “helps to feed students physically and intellectually.”

The fair is staffed entirely by volunteers, many of whom are faculty or retired faculty who come because they feel that this is a good way of giving back to the University.

Jean Brisbois – who, when not looking for used books in the archaeology and history sections is Director of Security for the university – has been coming to this book fair for five years.

“I’ve always found the event interesting, you can find books for almost nothing,” he said.

By “almost nothing,” he means paperbacks ranging from one to two dollars, while hardcovers were going for two to three dollars. Textbooks were under five dollars and oversized books were $10 and up.

Coordinator Susan Hawke, a librarian at the Career Resource Centre, said the book fair is “a great way for students to get really cheap books.”

She added that the book fair had grown enormously since its debut a decade ago. “We are more organized, have better displays and a much greater selection,” she said.

The selection was staggering: from fiction to physics, art to anthropology, there was something for everyone. There was also a large section devoted to antique and rare books.

All of the books at the fair were donated.

Anyone interested in donating books to the next year’s fair can drop them off in a box labeled “Used Book Fair” at the loading bay on Bishop Street. Hawke said they could use more volunteer help. If you are interested in volunteering, email her at [email protected]

If old books are a passion, check out The Montreal Antiquarian Book Fair next weekend, Sept. 30 – Oct. 1, L.B. atrium. Student admission is $1.