Bad actors, choices, charity and creepy Cruise

Bad acting

Professional athletes seem to be the stars of TV commercials these days. For example, whether endorsing Campbell’s Chunky Soup or for Right Guard deodorant, they are telling consumers that they use these products while preparing for the Super Bowl for example. Now usually I gag at these commercials, not just because athletes make too much money already, or because they are endorsing products that they don’t even use, but simply because they are terrible actors, and terribly overpaid at that.

One commercial, however, has made me laugh on numerous occasions. It stars none other than our steroid-loving Canadian Ben Johnson, endorsing Cheetah Power Surge energy drink. Johnson is asked in a mock talk show, “Ben, when you run, do you Cheetah?” To which he replies, “Absolutely!” One tends to think that Johnson might be unaware of what he is actually endorsing, because if you remember the scandal itself he didn’t really know what was going on then.

Cruise Control

I am a huge soccer fan and have been in love with David Beckham for a very long time, however the more time that passes, the more I begin to worry about my beloved Becks. OK firstly he went to Real Madrid, second stepped down as England’s captain, and then was given the boot. I was pretty upset with all of that, but nothing could prepare for the monster that is Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. What I consider to be the freakiest couple on the face of this earth has befriended Posh and Beckham, as the two Brits try to conquer America. That is one step too far for me and I will never be able to watch him play the same way again.

Give by choice or by force

Thanksgiving weekend has come and gone. This time of year, along with Christmas, is always when celebrities make an effort to give back to the community. Alouettes quarterback, Anthony Calvillo, went down to the Welcome Hall Mission on Monday to talk with the people and give out some well deserved turkey dinners to some of the less fortunate Montrealers. Calvillo, in a Global television interview, empathized with the people saying he knew how it felt to be down and out and how his family at one point sought out government assistance. He also believes it is important to be a good role model for kids and that whenever possible to give back.

So what’s wrong with the rest of the world’s professional athletes? I know many of them do not come from financially prosperous backgrounds, so you think they would be humble and thankful to receive their $10 million, one-year contracts. I am not saying that all athletes are greedy, selfish human beings, because that isn’t true at all. But some athletes, like Michael Schumacher have donated around $56 million to charity in the last four years alone, and others just don’t.

Should it be mandatory for professional athletes to either volunteer their time or donate money to a charity of their choice? I know it kind of defeats the purpose of giving back when you ‘oblige’ someone to do so. However, without the people (a.k.a fans), the world of professional sports would be non-existant. Considering people like teachers, students and stay-at-home moms volunteer their time, that people who make more money in one year than all those people combined in their whole life time should squeeze it in their schedule to do something for the greater good.