Hockey Night in Belgium? Not quite

Merci TSN… Merci

Well, I know it’s been almost two weeks since Canada won Gold at the Juniors (because we are the greatest country in the world, but you already new that), however, there is something that really got to me, that I must tangentially spew verbal diarrhea.

On Boxing Day of all days, I get all excited, because I am in Belgium and I get to show my boyfriend and his friends what I am always raving about… HOCKEY. I had been watching football (soccer) from the moment I got here, and graciously enough, or so I thought, TSN.ca was showing the games live on their website. So, I get my laptop out, set it up in the living room, and press ‘load’. I am overjoyed, looking at everyone while explaining how great the game is, and the violence and the rivalries and so forth, when my boyfriend says in his French accent, “We aren’t residents.”

In my head, I am thinking “Oh it’s one of those translation issues we sometimes have,” so I turn towards my screen to see what on earth he is talking about and that’s when I turned the colour of a bottle of Heinz 57.

‘This feature is only available to Canadian residents.’

“Great Lucifer’s trident,” I screamed, which of course no one understood, even I myself was a little confused. “I am a Canadian resident you bleep. You want to see my passport or birth certificate you bleep!”

All that to say, TSN.ca you ruined Christmas.

Well, I know it was after Christmas, but still my heart was broken when I realized I would have to make long distance phone calls to Hudson, Quebec to know what the hell was going on.

I know I could have watched the games afterwards, but I hate doing that, when I already know the score, unless it is years later and I am reliving the glory!

Belgians with Brooms

Well, here in Belgium they have Christmas markets, where everyone gathers together outside in the middle of town, where you drink and eat to your heart’s content. And there is an ice rink. They of course skate and have a lovely time, that is until the broom ball starts in the evening. Now I don’t know if you have ever seen a broom ball game. They have broom-like sticks made to the calibre of hockey sticks, and they are very well equipped, they no longer play with actual brooms. Unless you are in Li