Lepage shines in Stingers victory

After a disappointing 5-2 loss at McGill on Friday night, the rookie-laden Stingers finally got the win they were looking for with a 2-0 triumph over conference-rival UQTR Patriotes Sunday afternoon at home as Stinger netminder Patrick Lepage earned his first CIS career shutout.

While much of Friday night’s play was the best seen from the Stingers so far this season, shoddy officiating dampened the Stingers spirits. The third McGill goal was a tell-tale indication of how things went for Concordia that night. Midway through the third period, things started to get ugly.

Play was stopped after there was a discrepancy as to whether the puck had indeed crossed the goal line. Unfortunately for the Stingers, who knew that the puck had not entirely crossed the line, the goal was counted, and McGill was awarded their third in what had become a 3-1 game.

At 10:25 of the third, Concordia’s frustrated leading scorer, Trevor Blanchard, was given a double minor for spearing, and his linemate, newcomer, Dmitri Toupikov, two for high-sticking and ten for verbal abuse of a game official.

“That’s life,” said captain Trevor Hawkins. “We worked hard tonight, got a few bounces, and we did a lot of little things right, but in a game where you only have two power plays, it’s hard and we’re going to have to battle through.”

Hawkins along with his d-partner, Jesse Goodsell, assisted on the second Concordia goal, sniped by Marc-Andr