Home Sports Stingers still alive in playoff hunt

Stingers still alive in playoff hunt

by Archives February 7, 2007

Concordia Stingers rookie defenceman, Brett Beauchamp, snagged himself a nice early birthday gift – the game winning goal in the huge 2-1 win over Queen’s Saturday afternoon at Loyola.

The Stingers were coming off a heartbreaker 7-6 overtime loss on Friday evening which left them two points behind their opponent that evening, the Royal Military College Paladins. With RMC’s loss to UQTR on Saturday, and Concordia’s win against Queen’s, the playoff dreams are still alive thanks to a playoff goal at 9:45 of the third, courtesy of Beauchamp, who was three days shy of his 21st birthday.

“It was instinct,” he said with a grin. The play came courtesy of forward Dmitri Toupikov, also a rookie with the Stingers, having joined the squad after Christmas. The two played together prior in junior hockey. “He looked at me, I looked at him,” said Beauchamp, explaining the move had been tried in practice, “and the play came through for us today.”

While the Stingers clearly dominated play on Saturday, it was Friday night’s game that was a display of the good, the bad and the ugly. Stingers head coach Kevin Figsby said afterwards, “when you score six goals in a game, you should win.” Stingers netminder Pat Lepage turned away 43 shots that night, but “we gave up some soft goals last night,” said Figsby.

The team was leading for most of the game, but gave up two in rapid succession late in the third: a short handed effort, that Paladin Paul Bradley put past Lepage at 15:01, and then another from Nick Cregan as he crashed the crease at 15:51. For the first time, the Stingers would find themselves in a hole.

With netminder Lepage on the bench, centre on the top power play unit, Marc-Andr