The Filmlover’s guide to summer flicks

Summer is around the corner and that means business for movie theatres which are in the midst of preparing for the summer rush. Many films will live to up to our expectations and others will surely disappoint. But we can’t begin to imagine what’s hot and what’s not unless we know what films are on the way and what they promise to offer. Here’s a look at some major titles that are coming soon to a theatre near you this summer:

May 4: Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man was a spectacular adaptation of Marvel’s famed spider character and the sequel was even better. With director Sam Raimi (he directed the first and the second instalment) on board for this third film and with the cast returning and with the additions of Thomas Hayden Church and Topher Grace and more impressive special effects one can expect this movie to be the hit of the summer and, perhaps one of the year’s best films.

May 18: Shrek the Third. Shrek is almost a modern pop culture icon and his popularity never ceases to increase over time. The first Shrek movie was funny and touching. Adults enjoyed it as much as their children did. The sequel was well received but lacked the charm of its predecessor. The jokes weren’t as ingenious and the plot was rather uninspired. DreamWorks, the studio responsible for the Shrek franchise, is now releasing this third part (they are in the midst of also preparing a fourth Shrek movie) to generate more box office revenues since the first and second had great “box office runs.”

May 25: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End. Johnny Depp’s method acting and Jerry Bruckheimer’s producing scheme are the two key forces that built the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. Both the first and second installments connected well with audiences around the globe and did extremely well at the box office. It’s no surprise to know there is a third installment on the way. This is a movie for anyone who admired the first and second Pirates movies and for those who can’t wait to see Indiana Jones 4.

June 15
: . The cast is back. The first flick lacked the excitement that makes a great superhero movie. The sequel, however, looks bigger, better, and more entertaining. The trailer reveals exciting moments. We can only hope that the rest of the film matches that level of exhilaration.

June 29: Live Free or Die Hard and Ratatouille. Two films which can go either way: really good or really bad. The fourth Die Hard movie arrives 12 years after the third. Bruce Willis returns to portraying the hero cop John McClane, a role which catapulted Willis to instant stardom back in 1988 when he completed the first Die Hard movie. In this latest one, Willis is bald but promises to still be bold. The film looks action-packed but a lot of the action sequences seem to be computer-generated. Any fan of the Die Hard series should see this movie because Willis promises there won’t be a fourth to the serie.

le is an animated film by Pixar Animation Studios, a production company whose films rarely dissatisfy children and adult. The story is centred on a rat named Remy who dreams of becoming a great French chef in spite of his family’s wishes. We can expect an excellent animated work with great wit.

Other films to be released this summer include:

July 4, 2007: Transformers

July 13, 2007: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

July 27, 2007: The Simpsons Movie

August 10, 2007: Rush Hour 3

To all you faithful Concordian readers, I wish you an entertaining summer! And best of luck with your finals. See you next semester…