Several players get a try as Stingers roll over Bishop’s 44-0

Still smarting from their loss to Laval last week, The Concordia Stingers women’s rugby team found a perfect patsy to take out their frustrations on by rolling over the Bishop’s Lady Gaiters 44-0. Jennifer Rosenbaum and Sydney Theriault led the Stingers in scoring with two tries each as the team improved to 2-1 on the season.
The Stingers opened the game up early, going up 15-0 early in the first half. The team was able to control the pace of the game through the entire match, repeatedly pushing Bishop’s back into their own side and forcing them to play defensively. For much of the game the Gaiters did not have an answer for ConU’s quick-ruck style of play, which left the Bishop’s players gasping for air against the noticeably fitter Stingers squad.
“We played to our strength, which was producing our quick ball and getting our backs into open play where they are difficult to stop,” said head coach Graeme McGravie. “That was the mismatch we were able to exploit so I was happy with that.
While Concordia’s speed was a key to the victory, the tema was also able to get a strong effort on scrums as well as the team was able to lower themselves and push the Gaiters on their heels. On offence Rosenbaum and Therriault led the team as usual, however McGravie was pleased with the overall performance which saw a total of six players each score a try. “We threw a lot at them this week so it was nice to see them respond and try some of the plays that we put in practice. This game was huge especially after last week’s result, which was disappointing for everyone,” said McGravie. “Now we have the chance to beat McGill for the first time in the Kelly Anne Drummond cup and we have a good sense in this squad that we are going to win this year, so psychologically this victory against Bishop’s is huge for us”
Concordia’s next game is an exhibition against the McGill Martlets at 7 p.m. on Wednesday. The team’s next league match will be on Saturday when they hit the road to play Ottawa. The team currently holds four points in the QSSF standings along with McGill and Ottawa, with Laval remaining in the top seed.