Home CommentaryOpinions Just causes not always popular

Just causes not always popular

by Archives March 18, 2008

Truth as perceived in the public eye, is a product that goes through many stages of filtering, colouring and skewing.
The ‘propaganda machine’ not only misleads public opinion, but also more alarmingly creates a numbing effect on the public. Having been overdosed with pro-power propaganda for so long, the public tends to ignore occasional moral callings for action against injustice.
Take the issue of Palestine. It does not take more than a quick look at the realities of Palestinians’ everyday life for one to realize their calamity, whether they are living under the ruthless and repressive 40-year-old occupation, boxed in substandard miserable refugee camps, or scattered in diasporas.
Backed by the United States, Israel continues to dismiss international consensus, while its public image is polished by massive PR campaigns. Israel continues to get away with perpetual and horrendous violations of human rights, while the voice of resistance remains marginalized and often criminalized.
Evidently, the public is bound to receive a distorted image of the world and its domestic realities whenever governmental or private interests are jeopardized by truths. But what happens when that distortion is exposed? Not much.
In fact, the advocates of a just cause would have to use the same power formula to grab the public’s attention and stir some action.
Who among us can resist the overwhelming emotions of Martin Luther King’s dream of equality among men? But the notion of being anti-racist, however, has not always been