Home Sports Lady Bees still looking for first win

Lady Bees still looking for first win

by Archives September 23, 2008

Still reeling from a close 1-0 loss to McGill Thursday night, the Concordia Stingers women’s soccer team walked onto the field Sunday afternoon hoping to defeat the winless UQTR Patriotes, but had their hopes dashed by a 3-1 loss.
The game started with the Stingers dominating as a team, maintaining the ball in the offensive zone. Unfortunately, all their shots headed towards the net went straight at Patriote goalkeeper Myriam Lalonde, who stopped them with ease.
“We had many unfinished opportunities,” said Burgess.
UQTR’s rushes were led by Marie-Michelle Lapointe, who sped up the field with several challenges, all denied by Stingers’ goalkeeper Jessie Davis.
Davis couldn’t stop them all. Towards the 23rd minute, Davis and defender Jennifer Ethier-Gamache collided in front of the goal and Lapointe took the ball and sent it into the open net to give the Patriotes a 1-0 lead.
Concordia got a scare at the 35-minute mark, when Davis was nicked in the side off a corner kick and went down for a few minutes, re-aggravating an old injury. After a visit from the trainer, she got up on her own power, and stayed in for the remainder of the half.
Shortly thereafter, UQTR took the ball down the field on a three-on-one rush with striker Jessica Lavallée potting one over Davis’ head, and doubling their lead.
Just barely a minute later the Patriotes were at it again. Bellerive sent a shot over to Lapointe, who headed in her second of the afternoon to give her team a 3-0 lead.
“We should’ve been winning at the half,” said Burgess. “Not capitalizing on open breakaways, there’s no excuse for that.”
The second half started off with a change in nets for the Stingers as Alexandra Eskenazi took over for the injured Davis. Normally a midfielder, it was Eskenazi’s first experience in goal in over three years.
“I was a little rusty, so it was good there weren’t many chances at me,” she said. Eskenazi trained as a goalkeeper in England but decided on midfield because she “wanted to run around a little and get the feel for it again.”
Within the opening five minutes, the Stingers dominated the field. They gained momentum after Burgess pounced on s rebound, spinning and sending it right by the far inside post.
The Stingers had strong possession for the remainder of the half, but they couldn’t muster any clear scoring opportunities.
“It was hard to come back in the second half. We did almost everything we could,” Burgess said.
“We had lapses that were only a minute long, but in each instance, they scored on us. We need to keep focus and play a whole 90 minutes. It’s frustrating to accept a loss when you play well.”

Related Articles

Leave a Comment