Stingers swept in home-and-home series vs. laval

Despite kicker Rene Paredes getting four field goals and quarterback Liam Mahoney passing for 283 yards, the No. 9-ranked Concordia Stingers fell once again to the No. 1-ranked Laval Rouge et Or by a score of 21-12 before a crowd of 12,982 in Quebec City on Sunday.
Once again, ball security was the primary issue for the Stingers. Concordia’s offence committed turnover after turnover during the game’s second half, blowing any chances the Stingers had of being the first team to beat Laval.
“They’re a great team, and if we turn the ball over, they score. This has happened in every single game that we’ve played against them,” said Mahoney, who completed 20 of 30 passes on Sunday.
The opening quarter was slow for both Concordia and Laval as both teams’ defences allowed the game to remain scoreless during the first 10 minutes of the game.
The Stingers managed to get on the board first with a 41-yard kick by Paredes. The Rouge et Or then took away Concordia’s small lead moments later with a touchdown by running back Guillaume Allard Cameus.
Concordia managed to stay within range of taking over the game throughout most of the second quarter, but Mahoney and his offence failed to produce any scoring. It was once again up to Paredes to add points to the scoreboard with a 17-yard field goal with 9:55 left to play in the second quarter. Laval kicker Christopher Milo added a 43-yard field goal with 5:54 left to play in the first half. The play that ensued seconds later proved to be the game’s turning point. Having been sacked by Etienne Legare, Mahoney lost control of the ball, giving possession to the Rouge et Or at the Stingers’ 22-yard line. Laval’s Cesar Hernandez-Sanchez went on to score a touchdown off a 5-yard run. Paredes added a 47-yard field goal with 1:31 left to play in the first half, but the Stingers would still enter the second half with a nine-point deficit.
Both teams’ defensive lines and kickers were left to finish the job before a roaring crowd of Rouge et Or fans.
The third quarter saw Paredes kick a 34-yard field goal, reducing Laval’s lead to six points. Christopher Milo closed out the scoring during the final quarter of the game with his third field goal of the game, locking in the victory for Laval.
Despite the loss, the Stingers came out of the game somewhat satisfied with the way they played. Their performance was definitely an improvement from last week’s embarrassing 36-13 defeat at the hands of this same Laval squad.
“I thought we played much better than we did last week, but you have to play a perfect game against Laval, and we didn’t do that,” said Mahoney following the game.
Ball security continues to haunt the Stingers, who have had trouble avoiding turnovers since the beginning of the season. The likelihood that these two teams will meet come playoff time is strong, but turnovers and the reliance on field goals for offence will get the Stingers nowhere against this strong Laval team.
“We’re both in the top of the Quebec league right now. Every time we play each other, it’s always a physical game and we always know it’s going to be a tough game,” Mahoney added.
The Stingers will play their next game on Saturday at the CEPSUM against the Université de Montreal Carabins, who are coming off an easy 58-7 victory against the McGill Redmen.