Stingers muster a point in game against McGill

Despite forcing a shootout, the Concordia Men’s hockey team came up short against cross-town rivals the McGill Redmen in a close 4-3 game last Wednesday night.
“We’ll take a point on the road,” head coach Kevin Figsby said. “It’s always tough to come in here and play.”
A shorthanded tying goal late in the second created a momentum shift in McGill’s favour from which the Stingers couldn’t recover.
Both teams maintained their discipline through the first period until a penalty was called at the halfway mark.
The Redmen were assessed a bench minor at 12:42, and defenceman Jesse Goodsell fired a slap-pass to Nicolas D’Aoust, capitalizing on the power play. D’Aoust was at an impossible angle, tip-toeing the goal line on the right wing, yet didn’t miss on the connection, putting the Stingers up 1-0.
The Stingers further secured their lead when Nick Sciangula went five-hole on the surprised Redmen goalie, 3:55 into the second.
Then the game picked up, with both teams sending out their hard-checking lines in an attempt to gain momentum’s edge. It worked for McGill, when centre man Sam Bloom put them on the board.
With just over half the period gone, forward Cory McGillis fired a slapshot right off of a face-off, deep in the McGill zone. The puck catapulted off of the right post into the net. It was McGillis’ third goal in two games, leaving the Stingers up 3-1.
With a two-man advantage, the Redmen closed the gap in scoring from a scrum that poked the puck past Stingers netminder Maxime Joyal. Three minutes later, Redmen centre Simon Courcelles stole the puck from McGillis and put it top shelf on Joyal. The game was tied 3-3 going into the third.
An uneventful third period showcased two disciplined teams battling hard for the puck. The game pushed into overtime, but neither team could score. McGill won the shootout, but Concordia still secured a point.
“We’ve just taken three out of a possible four points this year,” Figsby said. “We’ll take it.”
The Stingers return home to play the McGill Redmen again on Wednesday, Jan. 28, at 8:00 p.m.