Basketball in Brief

Women’s Basketball Team Playing for a Post-Season Run

In a 16 game regular season, no two games are more important than the last two for the Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team. The Stingers are in last place in the Quebec conference, four points behind the McGill Martlets. Those two teams play twice this weekend.
The Stingers failed to carry their momentum from a strong weekend against the Laval Rouge et Or, falling to the second place Bishop’s Gaiters twice by scores of 64-58 and 82-68.
On Friday, at Concordia, the Stingers had a one-point half-time lead, but failed to hold on.
The Stingers had double-digit points production from Krystle Douglas with 14, Anne-Marie Prophete with 11 and Felon Harris with 10.
Concordia was out-rebounded 42-20 and could only muster five offensive rebounds in the game. Katy Germain led the Gaiters with 20 points.
The next day in Lennoxville, Concordia could not get off to a quick start, and lost every quarter on their way to defeat.
Douglas had 21 points in a losing effort, while Melissa Campbell had 15.
Bishop’s once again out-rebounded the Stingers, this time 42-21 and had four players with at least 14 points. Amanda Pirlbauer had 18 while Katy Germain, Marie-Eve Lemoine and Jessy Roy each had 14.
Bishop’s clinched home court advantage in the first round with the two victories and will face the UQAM Citadins in the QUBL semi final.
Laval will host either Concordia or McGill.
Concordia goes to McGill on Friday for a 6:00 p.m. tip off and come back to face the Martlets on Saturday. That game also starts at 6:00 p.m.
A McGill win in either game would eliminate the Stingers from the playoffs. The two teams have split the two games they have already played this season with the home team winning each game.
——————————————-

Stingers Clinch Regular Season Title

The road to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport Final 8 goes through Concordia. The Concordia Stingers men’s basketball team clinched first place and home court advantage throughout the playoffs with two wins in a home-and-home series against the Bishop’s Gaiters.
It means the two games left in the regular season against the McGill Redmen is now a playoff preview, as the two cross-town rivals will play in the Quebec University Basketball League semi final on Feb. 27 regardless of the results of this weekend’s games.
On Friday evening, Concordia got off to a quick start and used a 27-15 first quarter to coast to a 91-77 victory. Bishop’s, down early, came back fighting cutting the Stinger lead to two at one point in the third quarter before the Stingers went on another run late. Damian Buckley led the Stingers with 23 points and 11 assists. Jamal Gallier also had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
Dwayne Buckley had 15, Evens Laroche had 13 and Decee Krah had 10 points each as Concordia had five players in double figures.
Bishop’s Junior Nicholas, a Montreal native, had 19 points to reach the 1,000 point milestone in his second to last CIS game.
The next night, Bishop’s came out flying following their Seniors night ceremony. The Gaiters opened up a 45-24 half-time lead but in the third quarter, the Stingers stormed back outscoring Bishop’s 30-5 in the frame to take the lead and they would not relinquish it. Concordia took the game 75-66 in the win that clinched the Quebec conference.
Bishop’s keyed hard on Damian Buckley, having him double covered for most of the game. Buckley only ended up with seven points as a result. That opened up the court for other Stingers to hit points. Dwayne Buckley led the team with 18 points, Evens Laroche had 17 despite only playing 20 minutes and Decee Krah had 15 for Concordia.
The Stingers, 10-4, are on a four game winning streak and have won six of their last seven in league play. They are two games ahead of Laval and UQAM, but hold the tie breaker against both teams.
Concordia will play at McGill on Friday at 8:00 p.m. and come home to face the Redmen in their regular season finale at 4:00 p.m.