Breton a Busy Bee After the Stingers’ Life

If the city of Montreal wore a mood ring, the only colours it would ever display would be red, white and blue. But only 15 minutes away from the Bell Centre is Étienne Desmarteau arena, home of the Canadian Women’s Hockey League’s Montreal Stars.
Their roster boasts World Champions and Olympic medallists, and amongst the players are six who cite Concordia University as their alma mater. One of those players is the captain, Lisa-Marie Breton, who also happens to be the assistant coach for the Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team, supervisor of personal trainers at Le Gym, and the strength and conditioning coach for the men and women’s rugby, women’s soccer and women’s hockey team.
An only child, Breton first laced up a pair of figure skates to play outdoor hockey with her cousins. After pleading with her father to shave the picks off the front of her blades, he bought her a pair of hockey skates and so began her love affair with the sport.
Starting at the age of six, Breton played minor hockey in Saint-Zacharie, a small town in the Beauce region, north-east of Montreal. She played in a boys’ league for 11 years, and started playing in a small girls’ league on the weekends at 13. At the age of 15, she was recruited by Team Quebec at the junior level and played in the first ever National Junior Championship for hockey in 1993, winning a silver medal in a loss to Team Ontario. Breton would continue playing for Team Quebec through to the senior level, and went to eight national championships with them.
During her CÉGEP years, women’s hockey wasn’t yet recognized under the Canadian Interuniversity Sport organization. Though Breton attended CÉGEP Trois-Rivi