Campus Briefs

CSU deficit paid, surplus predicted

The CSU’s deficit has been paid off, according to VP finance Andre Leroy. The over $500,000 deficit occurred between 2005 and 2007. The CSU has blamed former accountant Marie Lyonnais for financial mismanagement leading to the deficit; they are currently pursuing legal action against her.
Leroy said the deficit was not a loss, but rather consisted mostly of unpaid bills and taxes. “What happens is that you go into the next year with liabilities,” he said. “You go into the next year with stuff you still have to pay off.”
The union ran a surplus in 2007-2008 and Leroy said he expects there to be over $1 million in CSU’s accounts in September. He said the costs were covered through better financial responsibility and cuts to expenses.
————————————–

Council Chair not going anywhere

Despite a request to be removed, Brett Farrington was granted permission to maintain his position as CSU council chair.
The request was filed by undergraduate student Andrew Haig. Farrington, an employee of the Canadian Federation of Students, has been acting as chair since Jessica Nudo resigned in January.
Concordia’s judicial board rendered a provisional decision Sunday that Farrington should continue to manage and chair council meetings until a final decision is made. The provisional decision states Farrington may not, however, represent council before the board.
Haig’s request was based on the CSU bylaw that stipulates only undergraduates can hold the position of council chair.
———————————————–

Change’s appeal dismissed

The judicial board decided Sunday that Ethan Cox will be able to keep his place as an independent councilor for 2009-1010. Members of the Change slate moved to disqualify Cox from the recent election on the last Sunday prior to the poling period. Though the chief electoral officer decided to disqualify Cox, the candidate immediately contested the decision, so his name was not removed from the ballot. Cox went on to win a place on council as an independent for 2009-2010. Change brought the case to the judicial board, the body that hears and decides on appeals. The board decided the CEO received the evidence and testimony too late and that the decision to disqualify Cox was rendered too late.