Two Wins for Stingers at Bishops

Concordia’s rugby teams swept their home-opening weekend against Bishop’s with a 61-0 beating by the women and a 17-15 nail-biter courtesy of the men.
After going 0-7 last season, this year’s men’s club had a lot to prove and within two minutes Concordia had enough field position to secure a penalty kick making it 3-0.
Once Bishop scored, the men rallied back to make it 10-7 but from this point on the Stingers’ resolve disintegrated. Bishops took full advantage of the lack of effort to completely dominate. The only time Concordia touched the ball was on penalties. The onslaught took its toll when the Gaiters pushed a maul 20 yards into the try zone, to lead 12-10.
Bishops’ completed a penalty kick with three minutes left in the game to increase their score to 15-10.
Spurred by last minute desperation and a roaring crowd, the Stingers fought their way back up field. Just when it seemed that Bishops’ would be saved by the buzzer, Sean McDonough-Fraser managed to dive into the try zone. This levelled the score at 15-15 and so the burden fell onto kicker D’Angelo to kick for the win. He calmly put the ball between the uprights to secure the victory.
The question leading into the women’s game was not will they beat Bishop’s, but how badly?
It only took ten minutes for Concordia to strike, as Laura Belvedere intercepted a Bishop’s pass and waltzed her way into the try zone.
Two minutes later Concordia scored again, this time it was by winger Mandie Aldridge, off a floating pass from fullback Jennifer Rosenbaum.
The forwards began to make their presence felt as they carried the Stingers up field by passing while being tackled. This allowed fly-half Erika Hamilton time to coordinate a play, allowing Rosenbaum to sneak into the try zone.
Near the end of the half Belvedere increased the lead again 26-0.
After half the Stingers picked up the where they left off. Prop Vanessa Grillo scored with the support of the entire pack to make it 40-0.
Contrary to the scoreboard, Concordia’s spectacular play wasn’t limited to just scoring. Sarah Nesbitt dragged three Gaiters fifteen yards before being tackled and scrum-half Julie Vaillancourt manipulated the gaps in the defence off scrums. A pile-up on the try-line allowed Grillo to punch her second try.
As if that weren’t enough, in the last two minutes of play Belvedere added her fourth try of the game despite being held back by two Gaiters. Jackie Tittley chipped in eight points on kicks to round out the score 61-0.
“This is the most talented team bar none that I’ve played against and played for,” commented Belvedere, “we play some really great teams this year but hopefully we can play like we did tonight.”
Belvedere’s hopes will be put to the test this upcoming Sunday as the Stinger men and women visit Sherbrooke.