Upcoming Events

Aside from being the obvious combination of the words “local” and “delicious,” Localicious is a local sustainable food campaign organized by the World Wildlife Fund as part of a series of global initiatives encouraging people to reduce their individual footprint and conquer global warming.
From Oct. 2-18, restaurants across Canada, including 14 in Montreal, will be offering special menus featuring meals made with only local produce. For every meal purchased, the restaurant will donate $2 to the WWF. Participating chefs are also going to provide recipes and tips on how to make local dishes as well as where and how to buy local food.
With Canada’s growing season currently in its prime, WWF public relations manager, Tara Wood says Canadians have to take advantage of eating locally, thereby eliminating the unsustainable packaging associated with food from overseas.
In its first year, the WWF hopes to make Localicious an annual campaign.
“It’s an educational campaign to get people looking at the footprint side of food,” said Wood. “All of us should be thinking about what each of us can do to fight climate change.”

For recipes, tips and information about local and sustainable food, and to view participating restaurants visit: www.WWF.ca/localicious.

Part of the POP Montreal festivities is the annual Puces POP fashion show for emerging local designers. Taking place at 8 p.m. on Sept. 30 at the Espace Reunion located at 6600 Hutchinson St., the event is free and open to the public. To make things more exciting, the show is also a competition, with a panel of industry judges giving an award to the designer with the best collection. The winner will receive $1,000 in prize money, a $500 gift certificate from Le Ch