Ambitious student runs for office

A 20 year old former Concordia student and athlete is running for city council in the upcoming municipal elections in Westmount. Philip A. Cutler said he hopes to bring a wave of fresh air to City Hall.”I have no other agenda than to serve the city and keep it as well run as possible,” he said.
Instead of being intimidated by his older opponents, the former Stinger said he views his youth as an advantage. “Everyone has to start somewhere,” he said. “And there is no harm in getting yourself out there.”
Cutler said he has heard Westmount residents complaining over a lack of space in the area’s sports complex. Though there have been discussions about possibility of renewing the complex, concerns surrounding the preservation of the adjacent park and hefty costs have delayed any actions.
Cutler said actions need to be taken to start the renovations to make the arena bigger. “I want future generations to take advantage of the same benefits I had,” he said, referring to the years he spent playing hockey for Westmount.
Currently studying education at McGill, Cutler’s political ambition stems from the family history. His grandmother, May Cutler, was the first female mayor of Westmount. She held the position from 1987 to 1991.