Home Lady Bees Come Up Short

Lady Bees Come Up Short

by admin October 27, 2009

Despite a powerful offensive effort, the Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team dropped two back-to-back games against the Carleton Ravens and Universite de Montreal Carabins. The Stingers lost 3-2 against the Carleton Ravens, but earned a point in the 4-3 shootout loss against the Carabins.
Sunday’s matchup against the Carabins proved to be a strong test for the team. They lost to them in the Carabins’ inaugural game last Friday evening, but this time it was on Concordia ice, and they were determined to play harder in front of their fans.
The game showed lots of intensity on both sides – after the first it was a scoreless tie.
“We’re playing really good lately,” said rookie defender Alexandra D’Ambrosio. “We’re collectively coming together.”
The second started with a bang; not even a minute in, fourth-year winger Kelly Feehan wired a shot that somehow wound up in Carabins’ goaltender Katrina Giuliani’s glove.
The Stingers kept up the pace and D’Ambrosio pinched from the point and slapped a shot in the slot past the goal line to give them the 1-0 lead.
“The defence is really doing their job seeing the puck,” said goaltender Audrey Doyon-Lessard. “It certainly helps when everyone on the team is contributing.”
Two minutes later the Carabins tied it up with a goal scored by Amanda Lalande through some jabbing at goaltender Doyon-Lessard, who made 32 saves throughout the afternoon.
Just under four minutes into the third period, rookie winger Emilie Bocchia found the loose puck in front of the goal and shovelled it past Giuliani. The goal was Bocchia’s first as a Stinger.
“It felt amazing, the Stingers have come a long way,” said Bocchia. “After the first five [games] we’re playing really well, and keeping games close.”
Stingers sophomore Mallory Lawton got her second assist of the game on Bocchia’s goal, giving her two goals and two assists, with a final tally of five goals from the weekend.
“I was happy with the team’s play this weekend,” said Mallory Lawton. “Though it’s hard to be happy when we can’t walk away with wins.”
“It’s disappointing to see us only gain one point when we had four on our stick,” said head coach Les Lawton. “I am however very happy with the attitude the team has, and our maturity continues to grow.”
As soon as the Carabins tied it up, the Stingers took the lead again on a redirected point shot by blueliner Meghan George, tipped in front by captain Emilie Luck.
Two and a half minutes later, the game was tied again on a goal by Carabin Annie-Claude Dumas.
Overtime solved nothing so the game went to a shootout. The Stingers weren’t able to capitalize on the shootout despite having great chances; all shots were stonewalled by Giuliani. The Carabins scored two in the shootout, both by similar dekes as they waited for Doyon-Lessard to go down and move to her side.
Saturday’s road game was a solid effort for the whole team, coming together and putting up a fight but losing 3-2 at Carleton University.
Goaltender Stephanie Peck played her first game of the new season, earning praise from her coach for her strong play.
“We’ve got some of the best goaltending in the league,” said Les Lawton, “They’ve really come together.”
The game, however, came at a price for the Stingers since they lost forward Catherine Rancourt. She was suspended following a controversial hit on a Raven player late in the second period.
Initially, Rancourt was assessed a two-minute body checking minor, and returned to the bench after Carleton was unable to score on the power-play. The officials then conferred and concluded that the Raven was injured, so they overturned the minor into a five-minute major and game misconduct. This sent Rancourt to the dressing room and forced her to miss Sunday’s game.
“We’re in a tough division, but we don’t want to chase our opponents,” said Mallory Lawton. “We want to be the one being chased.”
Change is already in full throttle for this year’s women’s hockey team. Last year’s team got a total of 20 goals in 18 games, with only three goals coming after the first five. This year the team already has 11 goals- from the first five games.
“Our development is showing good strides, our depth has deepened at every position,” said Les Lawton. “The last thing for any new player to get used to in this league is scoring and our players are already on the right track.”