Line-ups for free food growing as more Montrealers fear job loss

With the recession forcing many to tighten their belts, the line-ups for free food at Montreal’s soup kitchens have been growing, according to Rev. Canon Joyce Sanchez.
“People are scared of losing their jobs,” said Sanchez, who works with Montreal’s St. Michael’s Mission. “They’re wondering if they’ll be able to maintain their expenses.”
St. Michael’s, also known as the Church With the Red Roof, offers a free Sunday lunch at the end of every month. Since Canada’s employment rates started dipping last October, Sanchez said she noticed “an increase of people living under stress,” even if the demand for shelter hadn’t increased.
The end of the month can be particularly difficult for individuals and families whose finances may be strained, Sanchez said. The number of clients who need food has been growing monthly, to the point where not everybody fits into the mission, forcing some to eat outside.
Concordia Student Union also does its part to support members of their community who are in need. Prince Ralph Osei, VP student services, said students can receive vouchers for IGA grocers at any time throughout the year.